bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: YouTube videos

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: YouTube videos
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 07:28:12 +0100

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:
>
>> Another approach that I like better is to play the video file like a
>> stream. If the player knows what it's doing, it will do buffering for
>> me, right?
>
> Sure, but sometimes I _want_ to save streams to disk.

Yeah. It will not be too hard to add an "external" option to the
download function I wrote. I'm busy today, but I'll look at it later
this weekend.

> Maybe YouTube needs to be displaced by something friendlier.
> I assume there are some CC-inspired video repositories?

I don't know. The reason YouTube is popular is because of the Flash
video player they have on their site, I think. They should offer AVI
(or something) downloads, like Google Video, but I don't know how
likely that is to happen (even though Google owns YouTube now).

> What do you mean, barfs on EOF?

I mean that it quits on me after a few seconds, with this message:

[00000292] main private debug: AStreamSeekStream: can't seek
[00000287] main input debug: EOF reached