bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Bongo marking and selecting random tracks

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Bongo marking and selecting random tracks
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:48:24 +0200

Hi Anthony,

AC> I've been looking for a way to exclude specific tracks
AC> when playing tracks randomly. It seems marks are the
AC> intended way of doing that, but I don't see how to use
AC> marks in random-playback-mode.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Actually, marks are not the intended way of doing this.
In fact, as far as I know, noone has ever given the use
case any thought.

DJ> Marks are not considered by the random playback mode,
DJ> but it's sounds like a good idea.

This may be a good idea, but I don't think it is sufficient
in the general case.  If marks are to be used to select the
tracks that will be played, they lose their normal function,
which is to select tracks for performing commands on.

Maybe we could have several different kinds of marks ---
process marks, play marks, don't play marks, and so on.

But to side-step this complexity, I'm inclined to suggest
instead creating a new playlist containing only the tracks
you want to play.

Creating playlist and library buffers should be easier.
Bongo is a buffer-oriented media player, after all. :-)

So we should add a command that takes the marked tracks and
makes a new playlist out of them.  I have been planning to
put such a command on `o' (for `open').

Please grab the patch I just recorded and try this code.

Does everybody think that this solution is sufficient?

Given that we are planning to add intra-playlist queues,
it would make sense to have intra-playlist play masks ---
if it is desirable, we can think about how it should work.

Perhaps during random playback, we should play only the
tracks that appear in the intra-playlist queue.  (We could
omit the queue index numerals in random playback mode.)

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>