[Chicken-users] an ode to Spiffy

From: Michele Simionato
Subject: [Chicken-users] an ode to Spiffy
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 07:54:26 -0400

As most people, I usually post to the mailing list when I get in trouble on when
I have something to complain about. However, this does not mean that I am
always unhappy with Chicken. So, just for love of equity, I have decided this
time to write a support message for Spiffy. Great job, Felix! :-)
Spiffy works pretty nice, in a morning I think I have got most of it without
big issues (or maybe I am so happy only because it is so much better of
http-server ;). I can run spiffy in a separate thread, add resources
from the REPL, see what happens in real time,  correct the errors and
use the interpreter for anything else, all without restarting the server.
A few things are missing  (for instance form validation) but I can implement
it in minutes with a nice macro in a completely interactive way. Plus, I
like SXML at least as much as I hate HTML :)
I think I will write a small tutorial about how to use Spiffy for writing simple
Web interfaces, which is the thing I am interested in, since I want to use
Scheme to do fast prototyping of Web applications. Scheme is *extremely*
suitable for this job, it sad that most people don't realize that because of
Scheme general attitude to discourage users making things harder than
needed (Chicken is maybe an exception to this general rule, since Felix
clearly shows some concerns for usability and practicality).

In short  Felix, thank you for your hard work and for your revolutionary
effort in putting Scheme out of the ivory tower ;)

             Michele Simionato