Re: [Chicken-users] Re: eggdoc-texinfo

From: Zbigniew
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: eggdoc-texinfo
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:57:10 -0500

If one were willing to violate natural law, one could invoke makeinfo
once for each @deffn ... @end deffn group.  This would gain the
benefit of perfect formatting.  To wit:

address@hidden ~/tmp$ cat > a.texi <<EOF
@deffn {class} {<sqlite3:database>}
@deffnx {class} {<sqlite3:statement>}

These classes are derived from @code{<c++-object>}. They hold a
pointer to the underlying C-structure in their @code{this} slot.

@code{<sqlite3:statement>} also has a @code{database} slot pointing to
the database object it belongs to.
@end deffn
EOF

address@hidden ~/tmp$ makeinfo --no-headers a.texi
-- class: <sqlite3:database>
-- class: <sqlite3:statement>
    These classes are derived from `<c++-object>'. They hold a pointer
    to the underlying C-structure in their `this' slot.

    `<sqlite3:statement>' also has a `database' slot pointing to the
    database object it belongs to.

address@hidden ~/tmp$

You still might as well just use Info, though.

On 18 Jul 2006 16:41:09 -0300, Mario Domenech Goulart
<address@hidden> wrote:
Hello John,

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:07:50 -0400 John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Zbigniew scripsit:
>
> > If someone would like to take this on please do; I find Info
> > sufficient for my needs so probably will not pursue it, as the
> > rendering part of Info would have to be reimplemented.  So, I guess
> > you can cut my list of reasons for .texi in half :)
>
> Googling for "texi2man" shows a number of such things out there:
> the first hit is a Perl version, and there's another packaged
> with units(1).  The problem is very difficult to solve in
> general, and these programs do a substandard job, but they're
> better than nothing.

Actually the format of the input file for the `man' extension is a
very simple parenthesis-based syntax [1], not the format used by Unix
manpages.

http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/eggs/man.html

Best wishes,
Mario