Re: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken.wiki.br

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken.wiki.br
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 23:05:15 -0500

> Perhaps as an anti-spam measure we could require answers to some
> simple Scheme questions; for instance, in order to create/edit a page,
> one would need to correctly input the answer to a question such as:
>
>  What is the result of evaluating ((lambda (x) (/ 42 x)) 7) ?
>
> While very quick and simple for any schemer to answer, I'd say a
> spammer who is able to answer that (almost) deserves his edit
> privileges ;-)

I am not sure this is that worth implementing, but I guess we can
experiment.  :-)

I guess we want the questions to be as simple as possible (so, for
example, they won't keep people to make small contributions here and
there) while still keeping the spammers from defacing our wiki.  I
will begin with easy questions (such as "What's 12 + 3?" or "What's
character #3 in the word 'random'?") and see if they are good enough
to stopping spam.  I suspect not but it could be that this spam is
comming from an automated bot that attacks all sorts of wikis and that
this simple questions turn out to be good enough to keep it from
altering our wiki.  (I suspect the spamming of our wiki is being done
manually, not programmatically, but I really don't know.)

I will, of course, also make it so at the Nth (3rd?) wrong answer, an
IP is banned for a while.

Something else we need to look at is how to use svnlook to alter the
commit log for one change directly in the svn repos (since the spammer
could put the spam in the descriptions for the changes).

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/