Re: [Chicken-users] preferred gui library

From: Matt Gushee
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] preferred gui library
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:38:56 -0600

Jong-Hyouk Yun wrote:

Hi, I found some mailings in archive.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/chicken-users/2007-02/msg00055.html

I saw recently that there is a GTK directory in the Chicken CVS tree. Is that related to the above-mentioned thread? Is it in active development?

BTW, I really don't want to reopen the February discussion, but I think Brandon had it right on most points, particularly that people want GUI toolkits that they can use to create featureful, "professional" (ooh, loaded word there!) applications. It should be as simple as it can be and still satisfy that goal. Furthermore, I would suggest that the goal of providing a common API for several backends is a worthy one--but strategically speaking it might be best to get *one* backend working well before branching out to others. Seems to me that people will respect a well-focused project that shows visible progress, even if it doesn't meet their immediate needs.

Lastly, if there is an ongoing GTK-wrapping effort I am willing to contribute a modest amount of time to it. I'm not much of a C coder, but you could give me simple, tedious portions of the API.

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :