Re: [Chicken-users] Eggology

From: foobar
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Eggology
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:02:42 +0200

Ivan Shmakov schrieb:

> [...]
>
>  >> Syntax-case is low-level, srfi-42 and miscmacros are control
>  >> structures... This is part of what lisp is to me; layers upon layers
>  >> of code.
>
>  > Right, this is also why all Lisp systems end up in large entangled
>  > blobs that no one can build reproducibly, and which can not be
>  > cross/target compiled (ASDF my foot, I say!), or even compiled from
>  > sources.
>
>         Well, Gentoo packaging system instantly and reproducibly builds
>         the whole GNU/Linux system -- more than 500 packages
>         (typically), with each package depending on up to tens of other
>         ones, automatically resolving all the dependencies and
>         downloading the source tar-balls from a nearby mirror as
>         necessary.  I'm therefore asking, is the problem in the number
>         of dependencies per se, or just with the software handling them?

To be perfectly honest one must mention here that this is
the optimal situation one gentoo. Most of the time portage
gets everything right. But i saw several cases where it did not.
That may partly be due to incorrectly crafted ebuilds but even then
it doesn't change the situation in general. One can still
build incorrect eggs which would lead to an equal situation.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to see a solution to the problem.
It's just that it's not a simple task IMHO and might introduce
some major changes to the eggs-system. This of course
can lead to even more serious problems.

Greets David