Re: [Chicken-users] Exact flownums not properly displayed in mingw

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Exact flownums not properly displayed in mingw
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 20:01:21 +0200

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 12:56:19PM -0500, Jim Ursetto wrote:
> Heh.  That is pretty amusing, but more a formatting issue on the part of
> chicken-status.  Or you could chalk it up to the egg's use of a flonum
> instead of a string or symbolic version number (0.2.3 is read as a symbol,
> whereas 0.2 is read as a number).  For example, were you to use (version
> 1.00), it would read as a flonum and display "1.0" on UNIX, which is just as
> incorrect as "1." in my opinion.
>
> One way to quickly fix this for your case is to change (version 1.0) to
> (version "1.0") in your .setup file.  I try to use string version numbers
> exclusively now for consistency's sake.

Same here.  And what's more, flonums can't really be compared for
equality (in general), which may lead to more subtle and hard-to-find
problems.

We should probably change chicken-install to reject non-string version
numbers, but it's probably too late to do this now and may cause too
much breakage.

Cheers,
Peter
--