Re: Classpath building (was re: Classpath future?)

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Classpath building (was re: Classpath future?)
Date: 12 Jul 2001 18:05:22 -0400

"Aaron M. Renn" <address@hidden> writes:

> If only life were that simple.  Perhaps there has been some advancement
> in compiler technology since we set things up originally, but there are a
> huge number of problems with trying to compile classpath without
> depending on an already existing Java library installation.  There are
> too many classes to simply pipe them all into the compiler on the
> command line.  Brian, comments?

A number of projects do just put everything on the command line.  I'm
unsure what exactly is "fixed" by making this change.

I'd like for discussion about changing the build to focus first on
describing a problem (in detail) with the current system.  Then it
should naturally follow that we can easily discuss solutions for these
well-defined problems.  Saying it is "too hard" and then proceeding to
list out exactly the current steps of current build seems... I think
it is missing something.  So could we back up and do this please?

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>