Re: Classpath future?

From: Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: Re: Classpath future?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:03:24 -0400

John Keiser wrote:

1. Patches: Savannah is pretty cool, I wasn't really aware of it, not
sure how I missed it.  I'll find that guy's patch and put it up there.
Etienne, please put yours up there if you could.  We'll wrangle this out
somehow :)

I think my patches were found.  So, at least, that matter is resolved.

[Last licensing comment: I am not inclined to send paper work. The FSF didn't send me paper work when I decided to use their code for SableVM. Why should I when they use some of my code in their projects? I put a clear license on my contributions, either you trust it, or not. I see no reason to send paper work. I trust the FSF, don't I, when I download their code?]

Etienne, I'm not concerned with your forking (don't take that the wrong
way).  If you want to make patches on your own version, go ahead, but
try and stay in sync with the main tree.  The way I see it, by the time
you have enough code to matter, either these issues will be resolved or
forking will be fully justified.

I'm curious now.  Are there forking tools for CVS that let you monitor
for changes in the project you forked off of, and decide whether to
merge the changes in automatically?  (Or even automatically accept all
patches.)

Sablepath is already implementing some of the things I proposed:
(1) It is broken into 2 parts (sablepath-classes & sablepath-libs), each with its own build process. (2) I have written custom scripts to convert a Classpath snapshot into 2 source trees (java & native), and then I simply checkin the converted snapshots on vendor CVS branches, which then allows me to easily review patches and integrate lates changes into my main development branch.

Now, it would be nice if the JNI stuff wasn't duplicated in Classpath. (Some code was copied to native/jni, but then changes were applied onto the older stuff (Double.c I think, or something similar, not in the .../jni/ tree). This seems pretty messy, and complicates my import/conversion procedure.

Etienne

| Étienne M. Gagnon                    mailto:address@hidden |
| Professeur adjoint            Téléphone: (514) 987-3000 poste 8215 |
| Bureau: PK-4930                        Télécopieur: (514) 987-8477 |
| Département d'informatique, UQÀM          http://www.info.uqam.ca/ |
| Auteur de SableVM                          http://www.sablevm.org/ |
| et de SableCC                              http://www.sablecc.org/ |
| Etienne M. Gagnon                    mailto:address@hidden |
| Assistant Professor                Phone: (514) 987-3000 ext. 8215 |
| Office: PK-4930                                Fax: (514) 987-8477 |
| Department of Computer Science, UQAM      http://www.info.uqam.ca/ |
| Author of SableVM                          http://www.sablevm.org/ |
| and SableCC                                http://www.sablecc.org/ |