RE: Class loader optimization patch

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Class loader optimization patch
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:44:00 +0100

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Note that this is a very nice speed tests for the different VMs. It
> takes minutes before the main Eclipse Window shows up even on a fast
> machine. Maybe we can have a price for the first VM that
> manages to load Eclipse under one minute on some standard PC
> (say 1Ghz Athlon/Pentium with 512MB).

1 minute 12 seconds is the best I can do at the moment. This is with
Eclipse 2.1 RC1 with no windows open on an 850 MHz Pentium III with
512MB. Getting to the point where I can edit Java code takes a couple
minutes more though.

For reference, starting eclipse.exe (using Sun's JRE 1.4.1) takes 11
seconds.

Regards,
Jeroen