RE: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:54:33 +0100

Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> The m4 macros would only reside in the VM*.java classes, not
> in any other class.

I understand, but I'd still rather not have the additional dependency.

> Currently, cvs co of Classpath *DOES* require auto* tools and m4.

No, if you somehow get a Configuration.java (e.g. manually create it),
you can build Classpath by simply running jikes (or another Java
compiler).

> Would that suit you?

It doesn't really matter to me. I don't mind maintaining my own copy of
the VM classes. However, I do think it raises the barrier to entry yet
again. And that is not good. We want to make the project more
accessible, not less.

Regards,
Jeroen