Re: Q: How do you keep your sources in synch?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Q: How do you keep your sources in synch?
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:17:04 +0200

Hi Patrik,

On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 13:24, Patrik Reali wrote:
> I'd like to add this topic to the FAQ, thus I'm looking for hard evidence
> on this topic.

Thanks for asking this question. It is good to know how precisely the
different projects are using GNU Classpath to create more fully featured
development environments.

> I was wondering, how the various VM deal with changes in the classpath code
> (I assume you have a "customized" version of classpath). Are you importing
> them by hand or rely on some automated tool?

One interesting approach is libgcj which is almost always trying to bee
as synchronized as possible with GNU Classpath CVS. They have a script
that runs daily which produces a (colored) differences overview
(including patch/diffs). They also put in special markers into the
source for gcj specific changes that the script recognizes.

Script can be found at:
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gcc/wwwdocs/bin/gen-classpath-compare

Daily updated result:
http://gcc.gnu.org/java/libgcj-classpath-compare.html

When something changes a note is automatically send to the mailinglist:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/current/