RE: java.io.File#toURI()

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: java.io.File#toURI()
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:49:29 +0200

Gabriel Ebner wrote:
> Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> > "file:/c:/foo.txt"
>
> That should be "file:///c:/foo.txt" (see RFC1738), shouldn't it?

I don't think so. The RFC says (3.10 FILES):

A file URL takes the form:

       file://<host>/<path>

[...]

As a special case, <host> can be the string "localhost" or the empty
string; this is interpreted as `the machine from which the URL is
being interpreted'.
<<<

To me this implies that file:///c:/foo.txt implies localhost, whereas
file:/c:/foo.txt is a URI without an "authority" (by my reading of RFC
2396), which seems to make little more sense.

Now, I fully admit that this stuff confuses me endlessly, so I could
very well be wrong.

Regards,
Jeroen