RE: java.io.File#toURI()

From: Gabriel Ebner
Subject: RE: java.io.File#toURI()
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:15:45 +0200

Hello,

Jeroen Frijters wrote:
>> That should be "file:///c:/foo.txt" (see RFC1738), shouldn't it?
>
> I don't think so. The RFC says (3.10 FILES):
>

> A file URL takes the form:
>
>        file://<host>/<path>
>
> [...]
>
> As a special case, <host> can be the string "localhost" or the empty
> string; this is interpreted as `the machine from which the URL is
> being interpreted'.
> <<<
>
> To me this implies that file:///c:/foo.txt implies localhost, whereas
> file:/c:/foo.txt is a URI without an "authority" (by my reading of RFC
> 2396), which seems to make little more sense.

RFC2398 mentions no modifications to RFC1738 regarding "file" URIs.  So IMO
RFC1738 takes precedence.

However it does mention that scheme definitions have been splitted into
other RFCs.  I could not find any about "file"; are there any?

        Gabriel.

--
Gabriel Ebner - reverse "address@hidden"
==> Please don't CC me!  I'm reading the list.