generics-branch - up-to-date and buildable?

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: generics-branch - up-to-date and buildable?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:48:43 -0500

I'm trying to get the generics branch to build with ecj on ikvm.
Unfortunately I'm running into all sorts of problems.

The first class of problems were nice and obvious: Changes were needed
to IKVM's implementations of various java.lang.reflect and VM* classes
to match the new generic signatures in 1.5 (interestingly, this
applied to VMClass and Constructor but not to Field or Method - I
guess the work in that area isn't complete yet). I was able to at
least stub methods with the right signatures easily here by comparison
to vm/reference.

The second class of problems were less trivial: it seems that there
are some fairly significant differences between ikvm's VM* class
implementations (based, presumably, on the requirements of Classpath's
HEAD) and what the generics branch expects. Some of the trivial
differences (VMFile.caseSensitive versus VMFile.IS_CASE_SENSITIVE)
were easy to address, but eventually there were so many that I gave
up. Is the generics branch lagging behind HEAD in terms of VM
interface? Or is IKVM running with an older classpath version?

Finally, the problem that led me to give up entirely and email the
list was that when I tried to build without accounting for IKVM at
all, but just using vm/reference, it *still* didn't build. Now I got
errors in AbstractList claiming that its ListIterator type didn't
provide implementations of the right generic method signatures
(specifically, it didn't provide add(E) and set(E) methods). Is the
generics branch buildable at all currently?

Stuart.

--
http://sab39.dev.netreach.com/