Re: Proposal: merge Jessie as an external project

From: Thomas Zander
Subject: Re: Proposal: merge Jessie as an external project
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:24:52 +0200

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 22:44, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> I propose that we build Jessie directly into glibj.zip.  Having Jessie
> present by default would be convenient both for GNU Classpath developers
> and also for packagers.

Would that mean that the developers of Jessie would eventually come over to
the classpath CVS?
Then just 'forking' an implementation means more work for the developers to
make work lighter for the distributors.

From this thread I note that most developers are worried about distribution
issues, not development issues.  Which I find strange.
A classpath user should not have to download the tarball and compile it
himself, and a typical user will not do that anyway.
He will just apt-get (or yum*) the package and dependencies come along.  The
need to put external libraries in your CVS, is frowned upon in just about
all projects I have contributed on.

A simple configure extention to print a 'please download jess, this subdir
will not not be build' or similar should be enough. It certainly works for
the projects I have seen.
Any idea how big KDE would be if dependent libraries were to be included?
Just unmaintainable..

--
Thomas Zander