Re: FreeSWTTestApps page added to wiki

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: FreeSWTTestApps page added to wiki
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:43:16 +0100

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 01:40:12PM -0500, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 13:02 -0500, Jeff Myers wrote:
> > The Eclipse code that uses the XEmbeddedFrame is most likely the
> > SWT_AWT bridge.  This class is a platform-dependent hack that's used
> > to embed AWT/Swing within SWT apps, and vice versa.
> >
> > See:
> > http://help.eclipse.org/help31/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/api/org/eclipse/swt/awt/SWT_AWT.html
> >
> > It'd be interesting to see how Classpath could provide APIs that allow
> > similar function to SWT - as this function can not be achived using
> > the public Java api.
>
> We do provide similar functionality with gnu.java.awt.EmbeddedWindow
> which gcjwebplugin uses to embed itself in Firefox.  That said, I
> wouldn't encourage use of this class since it is private and subject to
> change.

When I initially wrote the EmbeddedWindow stuff it was meant as an
official extension and not meant to be kept private for all time. We
should have some offical interface to provide this functionality.
I vote for keeping this interface stable. There are clearly much more
usecases then gcjwebplugin and Eclipse AWT/Swing integration for this.

Cheers,
Michael