classpathx-xml

Re: [Classpathx-xml] gnujaxp with JDK1.1.8

From: David Brownell
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-xml] gnujaxp with JDK1.1.8
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 13:10:05 -0800

> I tried to recompile the source with JDK 1.1.8.  I get a few compilation
> errors.  Couple of them are because some code use methods that are only
> defined in JDK 1.2.2 or above.

As I said earlier, the fixes for this issue are in CVS, but not in "beta1".

> After changing the 1.2.2 calls into JDK 1.1.8 equivalent methods, I was able
> to compile my classes against the new 1.1.8 GNU JAXP without getting the
> "import error for gnu.xml.aelfred2.JAXPFactory" error.

Curious.  But I'm glad you have a fix!

> I think all of these problems (not using same variable names and using 1.1.8
> compliant method calls) are all relatively easy to fix and can make GNU JAXP
> much more portable. I'm planning on using the Aelfred2 parser on WinCE
> handheld devices running Personal Java, so having a GNU library that is
> Windows JDK 1.1.8 compatible is going to be very helpful.

Exactly why I made sure CVS has those fixes ... :)

Though I'll confess I was more intriguted by that new
Sharp Linux+pJava device than WINCE.  Point still
being that JDK 1.1 is an important portability target.

- Dave