classpathx-xml

Re: [Classpathx-xml] xmlwriter and xmlfilter

From: David Brownell
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-xml] xmlwriter and xmlfilter
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:04:15 -0800

Luca Dall'Olio wrote:

Second one:
How can I send the XmlWriter events through an XmlFilter (I would prefer

You mean, like by making the writer be the consumer of the events
produced by that XmlReader?

Passing such events "through" an XMLFilter makes no sense to me.
XmlWriter produces text files.  It doesn't care where the SAX
input events come from.  And on the other end, the output is
always (!) going to be text, not SAX events.

not to use the Gnu Jaxp pipeline package: I would like to write implementation independent code as far as possible), since XmlWriter does not implement the XmlReader interface? Should I extend the XmlWriter to do implement it?

If you like.  "gnu.xml.pipeline" can be used with other implementations,
any dependencies on AElfred2 and the DOM2 code there should all be very
easily configured out if you want to use some other implementation.

When I've done streaming with SAX I've wanted to avoid the XmlFilter
classes as thoroughly as possible; they can't make up its mind whether
it's a data sink or a data source, and that's a pretty basic design
constraint.  You may think differently though.

That said ... the reason XmlWriter is a free-standing class is very
specifically so it avoids lots of overhead.

- Dave