cuadrantes-espiral

Re: [Cuadrantes-espiral] Fwd: chinatown is sorted

From: Javier Linares
Subject: Re: [Cuadrantes-espiral] Fwd: chinatown is sorted
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:39:37 +0100

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 11:31:35PM -0800, Saul Albert wrote:
> Hi Javier,

Hi Saul,

> I have no idea how to work with Berkley DB 1.85. and I don't know where the
> passwords are either. Sorry if my cluelessness disappoints you, but I'm only
> a BSD learner.

Ok, don't worry :-). I'll have to add users by any other method.

> I'd be very unhappy if anyone else had ssh access to lime, so redirecting
> the port is a good idea. However, I'm not sure how to do that yet, and I'm
> really busy right now. If you want to do it, that would be fine. Root on
> lime is the same as root on Chinatown (you got that sms right?)

Yes, I got the SMS and I have root access. But... I think we'd better
making it by hardware: I mean, the best thing to redirect a port is
telling the router that server 81.6.251.10 to do that. I assume the
router is a "stuff" that you can touch (not a computer) and it's able to
see the IP 10.1.33.18 directly. If the router is not hardware and lime
is the system that has the wireless card, it cannot be made by hardware.

But don't worry if you have no time, I'll *cut* the shell for my own
user "javier" @ lime to only allow to execute the command "ssh", or I'll
create a user called "null" or something like that. It'll be sure
enough.

> So, although our security is dodgy, I'd really appreciate it if you're
> careful who gets passwords! There's some useful stuff on chinatown already,
> and there will be loads more soon. Also, there are about 50 people who
> depend on lime as a router, and when it breaks, (very unusual) I get loads
> of calls.

Of course, those accounts are only for the core of the admin espiral
team (no more than 2 accounts :-)) and we are not planning to atack
chinatown with high load software :-).

Another question: Which software do you use to read mail @ chinatown?
I'd like something like mutt, able to run on the command line, to be
able of reading root messages. I usually admin systems, so I'm get used
to read logs and I have some Perl scripts to do that. I'll also email
you if something smells strange (that will give us more security).

> Sorry I can't help with the port redirection thing, but I really don't have
> any time for that right now.

Well, thanks for replaying really fast :-).

--
Javier Linares                  http://www.adala.org
address@hidden        address@hidden