cuadrantes-espiral

Re: [Cuadrantes-espiral] Fwd: chinatown is sorted

From: Saul Albert
Subject: Re: [Cuadrantes-espiral] Fwd: chinatown is sorted
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:57:36 -0800

Hi Javier,

>Yes, I got the SMS and I have root access. But... I think we'd better
>making it by hardware: I mean, the best thing to redirect a port is
>telling the router that server 81.6.251.10 to do that. I assume the
>router is a "stuff" that you can touch (not a computer)

Lime is a wired router (we have another wireless one) - it connects to the
internet via a usb modem and via a crossover cable to the wireless router
(victoria) , which then connects to a hub - and then to chinatown. The two
routers are v. old P1 compaqs, and chinatown is a p1 AST machine.

I think you can do port forwarding quite easily on lime, and it's documented
in the freebsd handbook, but (as I said) I'm just too busy right now.

>But don't worry if you have no time, I'll *cut* the shell for my own
>user "javier" @ lime to only allow to execute the command "ssh", or I'll
>create a user called "null" or something like that. It'll be sure
>enough.

ok , whatever you think best, but it would be handy for me to learn what
you've done (so I can repeat it if I have to).
`
>Of course, those accounts are only for the core of the admin espiral
>team (no more than 2 accounts :-)) and we are not planning to atack
>chinatown with high load software :-).

;-) don't worry, I'm sure it'll be fine.

>Another question: Which software do you use to read mail @ chinatown?
>I'd like something like mutt, able to run on the command line, to be
>able of reading root messages. I usually admin systems, so I'm get used
>to read logs and I have some Perl scripts to do that. I'll also email
>you if something smells strange (that will give us more security).

I don't read mail at chinatown at the moment, but I was going to install
MUTT as soon as I get my new computer. Feel free to install whatever you
need.

>Well, thanks for replaying really fast :-).

That's the problem with being busy, If I don't do it now, it will never
happen!

saul.