Re: [Denemo-devel] Keybinding modifications and Print from selection

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Keybinding modifications and Print from selection
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:01:09 +0100

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 19:58 +0200, Jean-René Reinhard wrote:
> > > I have a workaround for 2.8 now. Your re-work of the shortcut setting
> > > looks really nice - a great look and feel to it. We can't abandon the
> > > context sensitive help and shortcut settings though, as this is the only
> > > way of navigating to a desired command and then finding out what it does
> > > and setting a shortcut for it. I've integrated the left-click code (the
> > > old help_and_set_accels() stuff) with your code, the setting of
> > > shortcuts is working smoothly using your routines.
>
> I now understand the fact the context sensitive dialog is important, but I'm
> not
> happy with it's current layout :
> - There is no need to have a confirmation, changes should be performed
>   right-away.
> - A tree view must be used to show the bindings of the command, with 2
> buttons,
>   one for shortcut addition, one for shortcut removal
> - I don't think one should have the save accel and allow  quick edits stuff
>   (global commands) in an action-specific dialog.
>
> If nobody is working on this I can code this menu.

I too have been thinking about how ugly this dialog is; the answer is
simple: Instead of this dialog, right clicking a menuitem should pop up
your dialog, the shortcut management dialog, with the row containing the
action selected. This immediately shows the function name and shortcuts
etc. The only thing that needs adding is to put the help at the bottom
of this dialog, which should be easy.

> > > I hope to get the labels to display the first shortcut, regardless of
> > > whether it is actually an accelerator (consider, at the moment, there is
> > > no way to find out the key press for the menu item chord->Add note, you
> > > would have to guess that it is a function called AddTone, as it is bound
> > > to Return and KP_Enter, neither of which can be accelerators). It should
> > > be possible to do this, as the load_accels parsing does parse and
> > > display them in the current version of the program.
> > > Thank you very much for a great piece of work.
> > > Richard
>
> How do you plan to display accels that are not valid accels in the accel
> labels
> of the interface? I see no easy solution, and think it probably requires going
> through the UI and replace every  accellabel with a custom label widget. If we
> do this, then we can abandon the accel system. However, one will probably have
> to emulate a lot of stuff from gtk....

*AND* I've been thinking about this - I am fairly sure it is really easy
to manage the labels ourselves, and to stop using accelerators
altogether. This is beautiful, we will have a single route from keypress
to function execution.
If you would like to replace the callback for the right mouse click with
popping up your Manage-Shorcut-Dialog-with-action-selected I will take
on the label management and eliminate the accelerator usage?
Whoever finishes first can add the tooltip to the Manage-Shorcut-Dialog
(oh, on second thoughts, can you do that, as it has to be a column in
the GtkTree/Model/List/whatever thingy and it will take me ages to go
through that?).
If we do this first, we can think about sourcing the whole of this from
a single central statement of the (default) user interface (functions,
menu structure, help, shortcuts ...) so that we can never get
denemoui.xml out of step with entries.h with denemo.keymaprc, all of
which are coordinated at the moment. (I think there is something
upcoming in gtk that may be relevant to this).