Re: [Denemo-devel] The lilypond build system adopted to build Denemo for

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The lilypond build system adopted to build Denemo for various OS
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 09:49:42 +0100

On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 23:01 +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> On zo, 2009-07-05 at 16:28 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 15:08 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
>
> > These are the icons
> > generated by .svg images for which gtk does not have a built in loader.
>
> GUB is building gtk+ without svg dependency, and the svg loader is
> also missing from the gdk-pixbuf.loaders file.  Thanks for looking
> into this, should be an easy fix.
>
> > There was another executable to run
> > as well ( *modules*...)
>
> Can you elaborate?

I think it is this one
gtk-query-immodules-2.0.exe
however I will need to make another round trip to windows to find out
more as it turns out I have put these executions into a batch file -
probably in order to do the pipe to the loaders file.

> > 2) None of the scripts are installed
> >
> > without being explicitly mentioned in any makefile.
>
> So how are they installed, how am I supposed to know this
> and what's the command to install them?
Jeremiah knows about this on linux - it is a tricky area, the idea is
that you can just drop files/directories into git and not have to do
anything more for them to be included in the distribution.
On windows the install is just a bunch of cp -r commands in a bash
script done in mingw - everything from actions down is recursively
copied to
Program Files/Denemo/share/denemo/actions
(hmm, I think I have the head of that path right, but I haven't got a
note of it, where you have the "actions" directory is right).

> > 3) The denemo.ttf font is not installed. Hence the note and rest entry
> > toolbar having a series of numbers and letters instead of notes and
> > rests.
>
> Possibly it is being stripped.  Is it installed by `make install',
> what is its usual install directory?
On my windows build it is the Installer (Inno) that knows where it goes,
the Inno instruction is:

Source: "C:\WinDenemo\share\denemo\fonts\Denemo.ttf"; DestDir: "{fonts}";
FontInstall: "Denemo"; Flags: onlyifdoesntexist uninsneveruninstall

where C:\WinDenemo\share\denemo\fonts\Denemo.ttf is my source directory.

When I searched for Denemo.ttf I found it is present in C:/WINDOWS/Fonts
and I think that is where the installer is putting it, (although I did
some experiments hiding that copy and it was still found by Denemo on
startup. But that may be because it is in the user's home directory
under .fonts or something - wherever the user's home directory is on .
Moreover the windows file explorer was declaring the font still to be
present in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts even after I had moved it, so it may have
been cached by the OS or something, although it couldn't be opened...).

But I am sure really that the installer must be putting it in C:\WINDOWS
\Fonts since everything else is specific to denemo and that instruction
above is generic.

> > 4) None of the process spawing works - no MIDI playback or running of
> > LilyPond. This will again be a gtk installation problem, I had this
> > problem as well once when I cut down what I thought were useless extras
> > in the bin directory. I hadn't copied the spawning helper programs that
> > gtk uses to do the spawning, and looking just now I cannot find any
> > programs with spawn in their name under GNU_denemo (this is windows, so
> > it is painful to find out).
>
> Hmm, spawning helper programs?  It would be nice to have a list of
> .exe's you have in your working version, compared to the broken GUB
> one.
Here it is
address@hidden /cygdrive/c/program files/denemo/bin
$ ls *.exe
denemo.exe                       gspawn-win32-helper.exe
gdk-pixbuf-csource.exe           gtk-demo.exe
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders.exe     gtk-query-immodules-2.0.exe
glib-genmarshal.exe              gtk-update-icon-cache.exe
gobject-query.exe                pango-querymodules.exe
gspawn-win32-helper-console.exe  pkg-config.exe

I see that I have put back irrelevant things (gtk-demo.exe) as well as
needed things after I got my fingers burnt trying to remove unused stuff
- the *spawn* helper in particular was needed.

Cheers,

Richard