Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo broken ....

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo broken ....
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 17:17:15 +0100

On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 14:35 +0000, Ralf Mattes wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 07:45:56 +0000, Ralf Mattes wrote:
>
> > Hello list,
> >
> > after a git-pull (and autoreconf -vfi) denemo builds but fails to run:
> >

> > Any ideas?
> >

> Some desperate debugging later ...
> Seems like denemo just segfaults (now: why don't I see this at the shell
> prompt?
> Is someone really catching signals?).
There is some doubtful looking code in main() which tries to save the
current score into a file called crashrecovery.denemo
this has never done anything useful for me, I prefer programs that do
not crash :)

> Stacktrace is here:
>
>  Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>  [Switching to Thread 0xb687f730 (LWP 19947)]
>  jack_output_midi_event (buffer=0xbfe7e44b "ð\177\177\b\b\003\177\177", '@'
> <repeats 12 times>, "÷", client_number=0, port_number=0)
>     at jackmidi.c:187

the problem in part may be because you have enabled jack, and the jack
is not getting tested or updated regularly

>  warning: Source file is more recent than executable.
>  187    DenemoScore *si = Denemo.gui->si;
>  (gdb)
>

> Now:
>
>  (gdb) print Denemo.gui
>  $1 = (DenemoGUI *) 0x0
>
> Dereferencing this like here ' DenemoScore *si = Denemo.gui->si; ' of course
> segfaults.
>
> BTW - why does denemo try to set/change the tuning _during startup_???

This looks like a bug fixed a couple of weeks back - something was being
done too early resulting in attempts to send MIDI messages too early.
But perhaps you are seeing it because of trying to use Jack. The user's
preference for temperament is set up at some stage during startup, and
there is no special code (I suspect) to say don't set the tuning if the
desired temperament is equal temperament (which there should be perhaps,
since this is the default for MIDI).

>  #1  0x0808a9d2 in change_tuning (cents=0x81653c0) at midi.c:135
>  #2  0x0810a64f in set_tuning () at pitchentry.c:1103
>
> That's a nuisance at least. Keep of my keyboard unless i ask you for it.
There is a preference to auto start MIDI in, this should certainly
affect what happens when your temperament preference is activated - I
think the fluid code is up to date in this respect (i.e. I don't think
it tries to output MIDI messages if there is no MIDI in hooked up).
Richard