Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo broken ....

From: R. Mattes
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo broken ....
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 18:08:41 +0200

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 10:42:08 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote
> There was a warning saying the source file is more recent than
> executable.

Irelevant - I was (partially) fixing the bug while recreating
the stacktrace for the bug report.

> Rebuilding may fix it. Is this the mastet ir the soc branch?

No, why would it? A null pointer is a null pointer after all :-/
Dereferencing Denemo.gui without checking that it's not null is
a bug.
And only god knows why a function called jack_output_midi_event
needs to access a global pointer to the gui - so much for running in
batch mode at some point. And all of that only to set velocity, which
IMVHO should be set by the caller of jack_output_midi_event ...
Frankly, I don't know where to start complaining: strange API (mixing
of GUI and non-gui functionallity), strange C (if statments without {...},
ImHO one of the most error prone constucts) ...

 Cheers, RalfD

> Jeremiah
>
> Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T
>
> Ralf Mattes <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 07:45:56 +0000, Ralf Mattes wrote:
> >
> >> Hello list,
> >>
> >> after a git-pull (and autoreconf -vfi) denemo builds but fails to run:
> >>

> >> Any ideas?
> >>

> >Some desperate debugging later ...
> >Seems like denemo just segfaults (now: why don't I see this at the shell
prompt?
> >Is someone really catching signals?).
> >Stacktrace is here:
> >
> > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > [Switching to Thread 0xb687f730 (LWP 19947)]
> > jack_output_midi_event (buffer=0xbfe7e44b "ð\177\177\b\b\003\177\177", '@'
<repeats 12 times>, "÷", client_number=0, port_number=0)