Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo broken ....

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo broken ....
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 18:14:01 +0100

On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 18:52 +0200, R. Mattes wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 17:42:05 +0100, Richard Shann wrote
>  > > And only god knows why a function called jack_output_midi_event
> > > needs to access a global pointer to the gui - so much for running in
> > > batch mode at some point. And all of that only to set velocity, which
> > > IMVHO should be set by the caller of jack_output_midi_event ...
> > > Frankly, I don't know where to start complaining: strange API (mixing
> > > of GUI
> > One of the really painful things is that the names of things are
> > often misleading inside Denemo.
>
> Yes, I know and it's driving me nuts. Bloody time to clean these
> things up.  Better now than tomorrow. Code refactoring isn't such a
> black art anymore with tools like eclipse or emacs.
>
> > Denemo.gui is not to do with the graphical
> > user interface especially, it is the structure that represents a musical
> > score (and to make matters worse, DenemoScore is a structure
> > representing one movement inside a Denemo.gui ...)
>
> But why does jack_output_midi_event take the velocity from the
> movement and ignores whatever velocity gets passed in? Do we really
> never want to play back a crescendo?
This probably an instance of Denemo's confusing names, this is might be
some command for making a sound effect or some such. The midi generated
by Denemo controls the velocity in the expected sort of way so it
wouldn't be going through this (at least in the non-jack code). You'll
be pleased to know that the gsoc work has prioritised jack...
Richard