Re: [Denemo-devel] Chord symbols

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Chord symbols
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 07:19:07 -0500

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:59:42AM +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> at the moment, chord symbols are realized as markings on notes. That
> works in many cases, but also means that chord symbols can only have the
> same rhythm as the notes they are attached to (in most cases the melody
> as the first staff). Frequently, chord changes are in another rhythm as
> the melody. In this case, one has to edit the generated lilypond code
> (and do that again every time something in the piece is changed). In
> lilypond, chord symbols have their own context. What about a similar
> construction in Demenmo, i.e. one can add a "staff" for chord symbols?

You can assign chord symbols to non-printing rests. So you can create a new
voice where one voice has non-printing rests with chord symbols and the other
has a melody or something.

> This would have the advantage that the chords could have their own
> rhytm, and they would also be transposable (handy when you transpose a
> piece with chord symbols). What do you think?

Yes. That would work. There is not code in place to transpose the chord symbols
though. I think that would be easy to do. I only remember the old code that has
now been replaced so I would have to get up to speed with the new changes.

Jeremiah