Re: [Denemo-devel] Emailing: Psalm102(103)7TheSunA.zip

From: Andreas Schneider
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Emailing: Psalm102(103)7TheSunA.zip
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 21:41:28 +0100

Am 29.01.2017 um 20:56 schrieb Richard Shann:
> On Sun, 2017-01-29 at 17:58 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>> I can't change the initial time signature in this (edited version of
>> previous file)
>> I have just duplicated the single movement from the previous version and
>> copied across some lyrics and deleted the skip syllables.
>>
>> Movement 1 seems OK - just a single response line.
>> Having removed all the notes associated with the skips in Movement 2 -
>> the verses - I have then removed the empty measures.
>> Then I have tried, three times to change the initial time signature, and
>> Windows10 has reported an error and closed Denemo.
>
> I've looked over this file and it seems quite innocuous, and indeed I
> can change the initial time signatures just fine. I enclose the result
> of doing just that just so you can see.
> I think you must have a dodgy build of Denemo. I have come across a bug
> in the handling of lyrics with Undo, so try tomorrow's build.

I have noticed that in the lyrics you did not use the Lilypond syntax
for dashes. Usually dashes a typeset with -- . For instance for your
first line:
The Lord is com -- pas -- sion and love, slow to an -- ger and rich in
mer -- cy.
Moreover, there is a convention for vocal music that eight notes (and
sixteenth etc.) are typeset with beams if there is a melisma and without
beams if you sing separate syllables. Following this convention, the
eight notes in bars 8 and 11 of the second movement should be typeset
without beams. I usually use the Stop Beaming directive (under
Directives > Typesetter) for vocal music and do manual beaming where
melismata are present.
Attached you find a version of your score where I have applied these
changes. Might it be that also some of the lyrics are mapped to the
wrong notes?

Andreas