Re: [Denemo-devel] Emailing: Psalm102(103)7TheSunA.zip

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Emailing: Psalm102(103)7TheSunA.zip
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 15:43:38 +0000

On Sun, 2017-01-29 at 20:24 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Ok Will do.
>
> My hand edited file worked for a time, and then failed
>
> Is there any simple way of putting in a series of line-breaks  in a
> piece of music where the verses are not aligned with the bar-lines.
> It seems what I have to do is to put in a line break, accept the warning
> and two screens asking me about Layouts (the second of which I don't
> understand!)
> Then before that put in a further directive permitting it in the middle
> of a bar.

Well, you could make this swifter: first you could put in the Allow Line
Break first, before trying to insert one (that would avoid being
warned).
The question about which layouts it should apply to requires an up-arrow
and a return if you always want it. (Often you want different line
breaks for printing just a part or a whole score). If it is just for the
current part it just needs a return. Then the offer to apply that
condition to other line breaks is a bit gratuitous, I admit, but you
only have to hit return to ignore it.

> This is tedious for one line break; for multiple line breaks it is very
> tedious!

But then if you need the same thing again, just select it (that is, drag
over the two directives you've created)  and click "Create Snippet".
Then Ctrl-Space inserts this snippet at the cursor.

Be aware that a snippet remains active until a different snippet or
duration is selected, and it is used as a pattern for entering
notes(*).

You can keep this snippet for all your scores, and you can give it a
memorable label (click on it to do that).

There is more: suppose you want to insert a line break without being
asked any questions ... then after inserting one you double-click on it
and choose the Object Editor and click "Create button for clone". This
gives you a palette button which when you click it (or activate it from
the keyboard) will insert such a line break, no questions asked.
In fact, if you created buttons for both the Allow Line Break and the
Line Break object you could right-click on them and get both their
scripts into the Scheme window and then create a button that effectively
clicked both of those in one go.

Richard

(*) so, in this case, it will seem a little strange: while that snippet
is selected appending any pitch (a,b,c...) will just insert the snippet
(since the snippet doesn't contain any actual durations to be given that
pitch). We are rather stretching the original intent of the snippet - it
is acting here like a permanent object on the clipboard which you can
paste, but it will still try and fulfil its original role as a rhythmic
pattern to be filled in by pitches you play or type in.