Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Topology

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Topology
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:07:51 -0700

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 09:46:02AM -0600, Joseph DiVerdi wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> Thanks for the info.

> BTW, I'm not worried just frankly am wondering how much time I
> should be devoting to learning the current internals and C++ (still
> early on the learning curve but making progress ;). Sounds like I'll
> need to do both C++ and Python to do what I need to do (if you catch
> my drift).

Unless I'm missing something, mostly people only need to know enough
"internals" to build a signal processing module that is a subclass of
VrSigProc, and then how to connect it up with everything else.

> Did I also hear from some previous traffic that: (1) Qt is being
> washed out of GR and (2) the Vr modules are being deprecated in
> favor of Gr modules?

These are both true.  Also when Matt or I get some time, we'll be
weeding out the Vr modules that have equivalents, or near equivalents,
in Gr already, so that there is less confusion.

The new preferred interface for connecting modules together (and
eventually disconnecting them) is the gr_FlowGraph abstraction, which
replaces the previous VrMultiTask, add, and process loop.  However, it
doesn't play well with Qt (thread issues).  So the old code will
remain until we get the wxPython stuff sorted out.

Eric