Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Which LinuxOS to use?-->1.Unbuntu, Fedora, Mandra

From: Lamar Owen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Which LinuxOS to use?-->1.Unbuntu, Fedora, Mandrake, FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:34:49 -0400

On Friday 23 June 2006 13:16, Gregg Levine wrote:
> But anyway of the ones you'v mentioned, Ubuntu is good because its
> even easier to use then Debian, which is what it is based on. Mandrake
> was renamed Mandriva because of copyright complaints. Fedora is still
> too unstable. I personally prefer Slackware Linux www.slackware.com
> for all of my Intel based setups.

I'm curious as to where you've found Fedora to be unstable, and what you mean
by unstable.  If it means "changes too much too quickly" then, yes, Fedora
does do that.  It's not unusual to get a couple hundred MB worth of updates
in a week's time.  GNUradio compiles and works fine on FC5, though.

I'm using GNUradio in production on CentOS 4 (based off Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 4 sources), and it is stable at this point.  It is not an easy task
getting it to build on CentOS 4, though.  On FC5 the build was pretty
painless, once I found an SDCC package that worked.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology