Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Which LinuxOS to use?-->1.Unbuntu, Fedora, Mandra

From: Lamar Owen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Which LinuxOS to use?-->1.Unbuntu, Fedora, Mandrake, FreeBSD
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:40:37 -0400

On Monday 26 June 2006 18:22, Robert McGwier wrote:
> I installed Ubunto 5.X and GnuRadio just made and ran after I used apt
> (synaptic) to download any package GnuRadio could not find.  With Ubunto

Yes; on Fedora Core 5 I just used 'yum install' in an identical fashion as you
would use 'apt-get install' to grab the dependencies, with the singular
exception of SDCC, which I built from a source RPM and then installed
with 'rpm -i'.  At some point I'm going to put together GNUradio RPMs for
FC5; I however track CVS/SVN and that makes it difficult.  I've not built a
tarball release in a very long time.

Virtually all the modern distributions can do these sorts of automatic
dependency resolution these days; it often falls to what packages you need
and whether there is a package repository containing the mix of packages you
need.  PHP5, for instance, is in Fedora Core 5 already, and I didn't need to
do any aclocal.m4 modifications to build GNUradio.

My comment about bandwidth (I have a 1.5Mbit DSL at home) is in keeping up
with package updates; no one but SuSE deals with this as yet, and I'm not
sure if SuSE still does package deltas or not.  The FC5 updates run several
hundred megabytes per month; sometimes per week.  Not sure about Ubuntu; I
have a copy of Dapper, but have not had time to install it (I'm quite happy
with CentOS 4 on the servers and FC5 on the linux desktops here; using a
local repository rsynced to the master repos helps on the bandwidth side).
The CentOS updates comprise far less volume on the machines that don't use
the kde-redhat repository; those that do use kde-redhat can get a hundred MB
or so per month since that repository includes later OpenOffice.org packages,
as well as core kde libs and such.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology