Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Removing '.py' from system path installed Python

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Removing '.py' from system path installed Python scripts
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:20:13 -0400

  However, a common convention on Linux, at least on Debian, Ubuntu, and
  derived systems (probably Redhat too), is to strip the language specific
  extension off scripts in the path.

  Would anyone have any heartache if we did this for the gr-utils scripts
  as well as the relatively few other scripts we install on the path?

  usrp_fft.py -> usrp_fft
  usrp_rx_cfile.py -> usrp_rx_cfile

>From the NetBSD viewpoint, I think that's perfectly fine.

It would be good if all the scripts started with a small set of prefixes
like usrp_foo and gr_foo, to avoid collisions with at least most of the
other 5000 packages.  Sounds like you are headed this way.