Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Removing '.py' from system path installed Python

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Removing '.py' from system path installed Python scripts
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:00:00 -0700

Greg Troxel wrote:

> But that will only really work if the version of python found as
> 'python' is the same one as the version gnuradio found when it was
> compiled, and the packaging system installs an interpreter as python.
> In a world with multiple python versions and site-libs this leads to
> incorrect behavior.

True.  When someone downloads GNU Radio as a tarball, runs configure,
make, etc., and installs it, everything gets put into the right place to
be used with the version of Python discovered on the path.  This is a
good thing, I think, as it covers the most common case.

> See http://www.gnuradio.org/trac/ticket/151

Understood.  There really isn't a clean solution to this, however.  I'd
be happy if could figure out one that doesn't make the common case more
difficult.

> This is an orthogonal issue to the renaming

Right.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC