Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Daughterboard

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Daughterboard
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:26:25 -0800

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 10:48, Brook Lin <address@hidden> wrote:

> When we use any of the USRP daughterboard to transmit, do we need the
> authorization? For example, FRX900 includes the cell phone bands in US. If
> we use FRX900 to transmit, do we violate the FCC rule? Or, we could legally
> use any daughterboard on any band that falls in the frequency range of the
> daughterboard?

You are responsible for complying with any and all FCC rules regarding
intentional transmitters.  The USRP is not FCC type-accepted and does
not come with any pre-authorized licenses on any frequency bands.

One recommendation is to obtain an amateur radio license, which would
allow transmission with the RFX900 in the 902-928 MHz band in the US
within the rules and requirements of the amateur radio service.  This
does not address the cellular bands you were asking about.

Many people, of course, ignore the above and assume that at a few
milliwatts transmit power in an indoor environment, nobody will notice
or care.

Johnathan