Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Daughterboard

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Daughterboard
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:28:22 -0800

> When we use any of the USRP daughterboard to transmit, do we need the
> authorization? For example, FRX900 includes the cell phone bands in US. If
> we use FRX900 to transmit, do we violate the FCC rule? Or, we could legally
> use any daughterboard on any band that falls in the frequency range of the
> daughterboard?

When the OpenBTS folks transmit in the cellphone bands, such as at
Burning Man last year, they get an STA (Special Temporary
Authorization) from the FCC.  They also get permission from the chief
engineer of one of the incumbent cellular licensees in the area, to
avoid interference with already-licensed traffic.

I don't recommend proceeding without those precautions.

I believe no license is needed to do bench testing with a dummy load
that doesn't radiate beyond the tabletop.  Merely opening the metal
cover of your PC probably causes more electromagnetic radiation than
that.

        John