Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Daughterboard

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Daughterboard
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:30:31 -0800

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:15, Jason Uher <address@hidden> wrote:

> You are right, unless your device is pre-approved by the FCC you can't
> legally transmit in unlicensed bands.
>
> I was under the impression that the USRPs status as 'test equipment'
> allowed transmission in unlicensed bands (like the ISM) without
> needing the part 15 approval as long as it was below a certain
> effective radiated power level, as if a user were developing a new
> product prior to part15 certification.  That may not be true.

And I thought the USRP's status as "test equipment" is just what
allowed them to be sold without type acceptance.  This is similar to a
signal generator, which could transmit on a wide variety of
frequencies just by putting an antenna on the output.

Anyway, enough speculation; I don't wish to steer anyone wrong, I am
not a lawyer, and clearly I don't speak for Ettus Research.
Government imposed rules are often unintuitive, arbitrary and subject
to case-by-case interpretation, so I'll let Matt address the question
if he chooses.

Johnathan