Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AM Stereo TX? (Motorola C-QUAM)

From: Bruce Hoenig
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AM Stereo TX? (Motorola C-QUAM)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 18:33:10 -0700 (PDT)

Marcus,
Here's what I found, with a google image search, there are some interesting images and discussions of the modulation techniques there with both block and flow diagrams.

This one seems very interesting and probably makes it similar to what might have to be done with gnuradio.
http://jsgil.mylinuxisp.com/AM-Stereo/QuadMod-4Way.gif

http://www.morpheustechnology.com/ebooks/Wireless/03%20Amplitude%20Modulation.htm

The basic idea behind the C-Quam modulator is actually quite simple. The output stage is an ordinary AM modulator however; the carrier signal has been replaced by an amplitude limited vector modulator. Therefore, the limiter output is really a phase-modulated signal.

A standard AM receiver will detect the amplitude variations as L+R. A stereo receiver will also detect the phase variations and to extract L‑R. It will then process these signals to separate the left and right channels.

To enable the stereo decoder, a 25 Hz pilot tone is added to the L‑R channel.

Hope this helps.
Bruce