Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD USRP Source for B2x0 overflows File Sink

From: mleech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD USRP Source for B2x0 overflows File Sink
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 14:27:18 -0400

Leave "unbuffered" = OFF.   This flag was added for "slow" file-sinks, when, for example, you're writing slow data to an external process via somehthing like FIFO, and you don't want the default stdio buffering to get in the way.  The default, if you leave it off, is to use stdio buffering.

The "bursts of O" behaviour is to be expected, depending on how much RAM the kernel allocates to write-behind buffers, and how fast your disk subsystem is.   Your writes get posted to the kernel.  The kernel throws them into a usually-immense, write-behind cache.  When its I/O scheduler decides its time to commit those writes, things slow down.

You might try also using num_recv_frames on the device arguments (if you aren't already), to try and smooth out the flow from the USB controller.

You might also compare what you're doing with something that doesn't use Gnu Radio at all, such as rx_samples_to_file.