Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] BER & constellation plot for OFDM transmit/receiv

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] BER & constellation plot for OFDM transmit/receive
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:34:54 -0700

On 04/21/2016 10:02 PM, Jingyi Sun wrote:
> Constellation Diagram:
> As you mentioned, Martin, it was the hard decision that was forcing the
> output to just four dots. We wired the constellation diagram up to the
> output of the OFDM receiver FFT, but before the equalizer, and the
> constellation diagram became a fairly neat circle. I suspect that the
> diagram is a circle because the frequency/time synchronization, which is
> usually performed in the OFDM equalizer, is now missing. We will work on
> implementing an equalizer without the hard decision, and will ask if we
> have any questions.

Jenny,

synchronization and equalization are *not* done by the same block.
However, the ofdm_frame_equalizer *does* correct coarse frequency
offset, but it needs to know the value of that offset coming in.

Something like a 2D-Wiener-Filter or derived would be a great addition.
It would be a great extension for GNU Radio if you could upstream your
changes once you've finalized them.

> Bit Error Rate:
> We found a helpful post online that indicated that perhaps the BER only
> works if the number of samples = the payload length of the OFDM process,
> which I believe is 64. After setting the random source number of samples
> to 64 (repeat = yes), we also added a variable 1-64 sample delay before
> the BER block’s reference input. We then ran the program, and varied the
> delay between 1-64 to see if the BER would drop. Unfortunately, we had
> no luck.

Do you have any packet loss in your system? If so, you'll never be able
to correctly compare things with a static delay.

> To debug, we sent the two signals going into the BER block into two QT
> time sinks to do a visual comparison. What we found was that the signals
> were clearly identical. However, the signal going into the BER reference
> input (which came from the random source) was static, while the signal
> going into the BER data input was streaming. We were wondering if this
> had any affect on the measurement? I’ve linked to a video showing what I
> mean in the following dropbox link:

I'm not sure that's what's happening. Note that you're producing 64
"random" bits, and then repeat them. How would you know if the screen is
constantly updated with the same data?
On the receive side, that's not necessarily true, since the channel can
cause packet loss.