RE: Serious problems with writing @

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: Serious problems with writing @
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:24:34 +0100 (BST)

> But one tailing question.... why does GNUstep use ALT for its shortcuts?

That is in the nextstep tradition ... it's where - I'm told - Command used
to be on nextstep workstations.  I personally find it very comfortable,
more comfortable than Ctrl + q ...

But there is nothing religious in it! the default configuration is the
nextish one, but the software supports you configuring the Command to be
any key on your keyboard (not necessarily an X modifier, I really mean
*any* key on your keyboard).  You can even have different applications use
transparently different keys as COMMAND if you want it.

> I guess that many people will be confused by having to use alt+c now to
> copy and ctrl+c in other (non-gstep) apps... Of course Command could be
> bound to CTRL that will break other stuff I guess. Anyway.

Well, netscape uses Alt + c to copy :-)