(no subject)

From: David . Ayers
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:49:07 +0200

Ok here goes my 2 cents on preflight.sh and the build guide...

System: Pentium III / SuSE 7.3 Professional

Build-Guide:
     after compiling gcc 3.0.4 I had to add:
     /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.0.4
     to my /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig before gcc could compile ObjC-Code

     5.2 GWorkspace
     - cp a * $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Apps
     + cp a * $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Applications

     Please note that for gdomap to be installed correctly, the make install
must be run as root.

     Base:
     After compiling Base, I also had to add the full path to the GNUstep
Libraries
     /opt/GNUstep/System/Libraries/...ix86...
     to my /etc/ld.so.conf and re-run ldconfig

     Following the recent discussion on gpbs and gdnc I was wondering why these
should get started in the login-script (.profile) if there should only be on
instance for them on one computer. We tested running OpenStep Enterprise on
TerminalServer under windows once, and it seemed to work correctly only if we
started pbs-Server and WindowServer using -UseRunningCopy NO for each Terminal
session. Now I'm sure there are plenty of differences between OpenStep
Enterprise and GNUstep configurations, but it seems plausible to me, to have one
pbs-Service per login-Session. If gpbs isn't designed to be used that way then
why shouldn't it also be startet in the startup scripts just as gdomap?

preflight.sh
     The script tests for ObjC-threads before testing for ObjC. So if ObjC
doesn't work it reports that threads don't work. May be the check for ObjC could
be placed infront of ObjC threads. (I was mislead by believing the lack of
threading had to do with the objc problems)

guile:
     I configured guile in a different directory than the source with:
     ../configure --with-modules --with-threads
     and during the make I recieved the following error:

     gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I../.. -I../libltdl -g  -02 -Wall
-Wmissing-prototypes -c../..guile-1.4/libguile/net_db.c -fPIC -DPIC -o
.libs/net_db.lo
     net_db.c: conflicting types for `inet_aton'
     make[1]: *** [net_db.lo] Error 1
     make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/guile/libguile'
     make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

But otherwise everything seems to be doing just fine! I'm delighted! OK now it's
time to start something productive. Thanks your work!

Later,
Dave