(no subject)

From: Andreas Hoeschler
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 22:47:46 +0200

Hi,

I try to build GNUstep on Solaris 8. When I configure base I get the following:

bash-2.03# ./configure
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for whoami... /usr/ucb/whoami
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking for executable suffix... no
checking whether nested functions work... yes
checking the Objective-C runtime... GNU
checking for objc/objc.h... yes
checking for gdomap network details... checking for variable length socket addresses... not found
checking whether SO_REUSADDR is broken...
The SO_REUSEADDR socket option for controlling re-use of network
sockets immediately after shutdown appears to be broken on this
machine.  Networking code will be built without using this
feature.
The effect of this lack is that when a network service is shut
down, it cannot be re-started on the same network port until
an operating-system timeout has expired.
For servers other than gdomap, GNUstep does not normally need
a particular network port, so the problem is unlikely to arise.
yes
checking for objc threading flags...
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes
checking size of void*... 4
checking size of short... 2
checking size of int... 4
checking size of long... 4
checking size of long long... 8
checking size of float... 4
checking size of double... 8
checking loading of constructor functions... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking whether objc really works... no
I don't seem to be able to use your Objective-C compiler to produce
working binaries!  Please check your Objective-C compiler installation.
If you are using gcc-3.x make sure that your compiler's libgcc_s and libobjc
can be found by the dynamic linker - usually that requires you to play
with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf.
Please refer to your compiler installation instructions for more help.
configure: error: The Objective-C compiler doesn't work or is not installed properly.
bash-2.03#

What is wrong here? I built 3.0.4 (wth objc part) from source. However, it seems a library could not be found. How can I fix this? ldconfig does not exist on Solaris. I tried

bash-2.03# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib
bash-2.03# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
//GNUstep/Libraries/sparc/solaris2.8/gnu-gnu-
gnu://GNUstep/Libraries/sparc/solaris2.8:/opt/GNUstep/Local/Libraries/sparc/
solaris2.8/gnu-gnu-
gnu:/opt/GNUstep/Local/Libraries/sparc/solaris2.8:/opt/GNUstep/Network/Libraries/
sparc/solaris2.8/gnu-gnu-
gnu:/opt/GNUstep/Network/Libraries/sparc/solaris2.8:/opt/GNUstep/System/Libraries/
sparc/solaris2.8/gnu-gnu-
gnu:/opt/GNUstep/System/Libraries/sparc/solaris2.8:/usr/local/lib

and then rerun ./configure but with the same result.

Thanks a lot,

   Andreas