Re: (no subject)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:13:34 +0100

On Wednesday, April 17, 2002, at 01:49 PM, David.Ayers@brainag.com wrote:

Ok here goes my 2 cents on preflight.sh and the build guide...

System: Pentium III / SuSE 7.3 Professional

Build-Guide:
     after compiling gcc 3.0.4 I had to add:
     /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.0.4
to my /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig before gcc could compile ObjC-Code

     5.2 GWorkspace
     - cp a * $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Apps
     + cp a * $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Applications

Please note that for gdomap to be installed correctly, the make install
must be run as root.

     Base:
After compiling Base, I also had to add the full path to the GNUstep
Libraries
     /opt/GNUstep/System/Libraries/...ix86...
     to my /etc/ld.so.conf and re-run ldconfig

Following the recent discussion on gpbs and gdnc I was wondering why these should get started in the login-script (.profile) if there should only be on instance for them on one computer. We tested running OpenStep Enterprise on TerminalServer under windows once, and it seemed to work correctly only if we started pbs-Server and WindowServer using -UseRunningCopy NO for each Terminal
session. Now I'm sure there are plenty of differences between OpenStep
Enterprise and GNUstep configurations, but it seems plausible to me, to have one pbs-Service per login-Session. If gpbs isn't designed to be used that way then
why shouldn't it also be startet in the startup scripts just as gdomap?

It's designed to run as -
One copy of gdnc and one copy of gpbs per workspace.

We do not currently support multiple workspaces on one host - where you have multiple X windows displays feeding to one physical screen and can switch between them, we can
consider this to be a single workspace.
The case we don't allow for is where you have multiple separate physical workstations used by diofferent users but handled by one machine and sharing a common hostname.
I think that's too rare to spend time on supporting.

For the case where your display is being handled by a machine which does not have GNUstep running on it (eg a dumb X terminal), you can run copies of gdnc and gpbs on any GNUstep machine on your network, supplying a -NSHost argument with the name of the machine handling the display, and theat GNUstep machine should act on behalf
of the dumb display.

gdnc can be started at system boot time (after gdomap)

gpbs should really be started when your X server is started.