Compiling GNUstep on darwin (again)

From: John Pell
Subject: Compiling GNUstep on darwin (again)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 21:43:43 -0700

Hi all, I wrote a little while ago about not being able to compile GNUstep on MacOSX. a little good advice got me half way through. (but then i went on vacation). Now I'm back and I can't seem to finish the rest of the compilation. I have OpenSSL via fink and the SSL bundle ALWAYS fails. i've tried everything i can think of and it just doesn't work. i tried telling configure to disable it, but it doesn't i finally had to rename the openssl directory in /sw/include and in my /usr/include. now I'm on gnustep-gui.

so far i've been using gcc2 from the april dev tools. I tried with gcc3 but it had <i>issues</i> with GSMime.m, it couldn't find the interface declairation for NS(or GS?)ConstantString. gcc2 works though, so far. I was told to download gcc3 from darwin CVS by someone from the list, but i can't figure out how to compile it with the strings in the GNUstep-HOWTO file <i>and</i> the strings in the README.apple, maybe I'm just missing it. here is the output from my attempt at gnustep-gui using gcc2.

/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lgnustep-gui
make[2]: *** [libgmodel.bundle/powerpc/darwin5/nx-gnu-gnu/libgmodel] Error 1
make[1]: *** [libgmodel.all.bundle.variables] Error 2
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

above this it says:

Making all for library libgnustep-gui...
Linking library libgnustep-gui ...
ld: -undefined error must be used when -twolevel_namespace is in effect
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed

I assume this means that I need to add a flag to LDFLAGS, but i don't know what flag that is. I would appreciate any and all help from the list. (I have a feeling that I'll have problems with gnustep-back too, so if anyone has any tips for me there then i would appreciate it if you'd share them).

Thanx in advance

-- John Pell