Re: Compiling GNUstep on darwin (again)

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Compiling GNUstep on darwin (again)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:42:02 +0100 (BST)

> Seems like I am the only one who is struggling at the NeXT runtime front.
> Since I am just a little java-programmer, I am often lost in the jungle
> when it comes to difficult problems what in return means that there is
> only very slow progress made.
>
> Since you say that GNUstep runs on Darwin using the GNU runtime, I ask my
> self if it is worth to keep the effort of porting GNUstep to the NeXT
> runtime. As I can see from my current point of view that would possibly
> mean to make some incisive changes to some of the GNUstep Classes since
> the NeXT runtime works just differently (For instance I think it is not
> possible to send messages to itself during initializing classes since the
> NeXT runtime keeps everything in a cache and looks there first before it
> sends a message. If the class is not in the cache it tries to initialize
> it. So if you send messages during initializing it looks again and tries
> to initialize again over and over).
>
> So what do you think? Keep the effort or just stop and be happy with what
> we have (GNU runtime with gcc 3.1 which comes out with jagu-ire). I don't
> think that I am able to cope the thing alone, I am just not experienced
> enough (and miss some deeper insight into the design principles of
> GNUstep).

If you feel you're wasting your time and not making any actual progress
(or very little progress compared to the effort you are putting into it),
well yes I would second leaving it alone :-) and maybe trying to do
something different, where you feel you can get a better reward (in terms
of results and satisfaction) for the efforts you make. :-)

Thanks for your support and contribution !