Re: Compiling GNUstep on darwin (again)

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Compiling GNUstep on darwin (again)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:38:27 +0200

>John Pell wrote:
>>
>> Making all for library libgnustep-gui...
>> Linking library libgnustep-gui ...
>> ld: -undefined error must be used when -twolevel_namespace is in effect
>> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
>>

>FYI, there's no point in even trying to compile gnustep-gui until you
>make sure that gnustep-base actually works. AFAIK, no one has gotten it
>to work with the NeXT-runtime - There are some strange memory problems
>that the compiler and/or runtime create. It does work with the
>GNU-runtime. Read the GNUstep-HOWTO, under the Darwin section.

Seems like I am the only one who is struggling at the NeXT runtime front.
Since I am just a little java-programmer, I am often lost in the jungle
when it comes to difficult problems what in return means that there is
only very slow progress made.

Since you say that GNUstep runs on Darwin using the GNU runtime, I ask my
self if it is worth to keep the effort of porting GNUstep to the NeXT
runtime. As I can see from my current point of view that would possibly
mean to make some incisive changes to some of the GNUstep Classes since
the NeXT runtime works just differently (For instance I think it is not
possible to send messages to itself during initializing classes since the
NeXT runtime keeps everything in a cache and looks there first before it
sends a message. If the class is not in the cache it tries to initialize
it. So if you send messages during initializing it looks again and tries
to initialize again over and over).

So what do you think? Keep the effort or just stop and be happy with what
we have (GNU runtime with gcc 3.1 which comes out with jagu-ire). I don't
think that I am able to cope the thing alone, I am just not experienced
enough (and miss some deeper insight into the design principles of
GNUstep).

>--
>Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
>http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you
>                                       | know how I hate the stuff.

greetings, Lars