Re: [OT] GentooLinux GNUstep Developer

From: Rogelio M . Serrano Jr .
Subject: Re: [OT] GentooLinux GNUstep Developer
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:54:53 +0800

On 2003-11-27 10:35:21 +0800 Chris B. Vetter <chrisv@web4inc.com> wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:06:16 -0500
Jason Clouse <jhclouse@charter.net> wrote:

On 2003-11-26 14:50:08 +0100 Ian Jones <ian@digital-bushido.org>
wrote:
[...]
I agree that it would be great to get GNUstep  easy to install  and
for people to try and use, but I'm not sure this distribution is the
one  that could put GNUstep infront of a large 'user' possible
developer audience.
To get GNUstep in front of a large user audience, it has to be complete and a snap to install on EVERY distribution.
[...]

Take a look at http://boblib.sourceforge.net/ ...

  As wonderful as GNUstep is...let's face it, it's huge. The
  installation process isn't just a matter of the "./configure
  && make && make install"- no, that would be too easy.

  Instead, one must install the makefiles first, followed by the base.
  THEN one must configure the defaults database for timezone and such,
  install the gdomap service at boot, and run an environment
  initialization script at login for every user.

  Not to mention the dependency hell from the very start.

While this isn't entirely true, he/they are right. GNUstep needs to be
easier (for a user John Doe) to install. It's easy enough for a
developer and/or someone who essentially know what he's doing. While you
CAN argue that John Doe isn't the target, I disagree -- because the
majority doesn't know, doesn't want to know and doesn't care enough how and why. All they care about is "does it install in one go? if not, I'll
ditch it".

On the other hand, no one will give a sh*t, whether GNUstep eventually
installs smoothly on Debian, Gentoo or FlavourDistributionOfTheWeek if
there's nothing, no Tool, no Application, no nifty Thing that draws
attention.
If there isn't, GNUstep will be seen as "just another X11 widget, like
ParaGUI, Xaw3D and Lesstif".

What GNUstep needs to be is EASY to install and setup.

        AND

What GNUstep needs to offer is something UNIQUE. Something that neither
GNOME nor KDE do (or can) offer.

Yes, you and me know, that GNUstep in itself is unique enough -- but
people do not care about THAT.
What they want is bells, whistles, colours, something that draws their
attention.

GNUMail is one such thing, Gorm another (and ProjectCenter could be...)
but that's obviously not nearly enough.

whats missing is a document system. something more than openoffice. the
closest i can think about is amaya.

Sorry,