Fitt's law, was: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability betwee

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Fitt's law, was: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Cocoa...)
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:45:28 +0100

Banlu Kemiyatorn <id@project-ile.net> wrote on 15.01.2004 07:08:42:

> > What makes an adobe (or for that matter microsoft) style toolbar any
better?
> > The smaller (harder to hit and indentify) icons? (Note: you can reduce
the
> > iconsize of NSToolbars too.) The lack of labels? The missing
possibilyty to
> > show only the icons or the labels? The missing possibility to hide the
whole
> > toolbar? maybe something else, but I cant guess it, I need an answer.
>
> Because they are located at the screen edge and is easier to be reached
by mouse.
> I'd like to see it as

> |_(%)_Item_|_(#)_Item2_|_(@)_Item3_|______
>
> Text will make the item area wider and make life easier with the mouse.
> Or just scale the whole thing up but the point is the edge of the
screen.

Where in the Microsoft world toolbar are located at the _very_ egde of the
screen and not _just close_ to it?

At first this egde near thing holds only true if the application is set to
full screen mode, otherwise those toolbars sit at the egde of the _window_
which has no benefit.

At second the active areas of the tool button and the taskbar buttons dont
reach to the _very_ egde of the screen. So you won't fullfill Fitt's law
this way.

readings on this:

http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html

http://www.asktog.com/basics/firstPrinciples.html (the paragraph on fitt's
law (actually spelled Fitts's Law within this document, if you want to
search for it))

greetings, Lars